It’s only Wednesday as I write this, but I am wondering if this week will turn out to be one of the more prophetic weeks of the past decade, which has already seen many dramatic developments in regard to future things.
- This week started with Assad’s ghastly sarin gas attack against his own people that killed as many 80 innocent civilians, including many children, and left as many as 500 suffering from exposure to the gas.
- Israel quickly responded by attacking the Syrian air base from which Syria launched the sarin gas attack.
- Nikki Haley, the US ambassador to the United Nations, stated that the US will respond to this hideous attack by Assad.
- On Tuesday, a European air traffic control agency warned commercial airlines flying in the eastern Mediterranean area to be careful because a missile attack against Syria was likely in the next 72 hours.
- Putin warned the United States, on Tuesday as well, that they attack the United States’ interests in the area if we launched an attack on Syria.
- In response, the United States sent fighter jets to the Middle East. In addition, many US warships and an aircraft carrier are streaming to the area.
- Today, President Trump warned Russia against such retaliation against our actions questioning why Putin would align himself with that “gas killing animal” Assad. The President told Russia to prepare for a missile attack against Syria.
- Today, Israel warned that if Iran takes any action against her, “Israel will topple Assad.”
- The Jerusalem Post just reported that pro-Assad forces are emptying air bases and airports.
What Does These Things Mean?
What do these things signify? The imminent conflict has the potential to light the fuse that leads to the fulfilling of the Gog and Magog prophecy of Ezekiel 38-39. We know that Russia, Iran, and Turkey are already closely aligned just as Ezekiel prophesied 2,500 years ago; all three countries have significant forces in Syria. It would not take much for them to combine forces and invade Israel precisely as the prophet said they will do.
A counterattack by Russia against the US could possibly neutralize the military capacity of the United States in the Middle East. This would leave the US incapable of defending Israel against this invasion, which also fulfills what Ezekiel predicted. He prophesied that no one except the Lord will come to the defense of Israel when the alliance led by Gog and Magog attacks.
If anything, the imminent conflict (whether it’s limited or explodes into something much more) signifies the further setting up of the Middle East for the events leading up to the seven year tribulation. No matter what happens in the coming days, we should recognize that the tribulation looms in the near future.
What About Us?
All these things also tell us that Jesus’ appearing to take His true followers home to heaven is exceedingly close.
Many prophetic preachers of our day believe the rapture occurs before the invasion of Ezekiel 38-39. If the events of the coming days escalate into the spark that leads to this war, then how close must Jesus’ return for us be?
My wife and I are planning to move into a new home on June 1, which will be closer to family. We are understandably excited about this prospect. But as I look at the developments of the past few days, I wonder if we might be home with the Lord before then. That would be okay with us because we believe the joy of Jesus’ return will far exceed that of moving into our new home.
I am not at all making any prediction or setting a deadline as to when the rapture will occur. Jesus said we would not know the day or the hour. Many Muslims in the Middle East, including Syria, are putting their faith in Jesus as their Savior. Could Jesus be waiting for more to take that step?
Regardless, our Savior gave us many signs to indicate the season of His return and . . . we are clearly in that season. We are living in the last days, perhaps hours, of human history as we know it.